I can't believe it, this week I'll be 39 weeks pregnant. That equates to 273 days of being pregnant, give or take a few. It went so quickly for the first 8 months, but now that I'm over 9 months pregnant, time just seems to be creeping along, except on the weekends. The weekends never seem long enough, they blow right by. The simple fact of the matter is that I'm not sure I'm ready and yet I'm so ready. It's quite the conundrum. I'm sure those of you that have children understand what I'm saying. I'm enjoying the last bit of time that I have to prepare the house and rest, but it's hard to do when I'm still working. By the time I get home, I'm ready to drop, but I want the house to be clean and smelling good when the baby gets here. Ughhhh it's another ugly predicament. I know that he's going to come into this world regardless of the shape of my home, so why fuss over the little details like dirty door jambs or dusty light fixtures, right?
Tomorrow is our 39-week check up and I'm anxious to hear what Dr. Campaign has to say. I hope it is good news or at least progress. Last week we saw one of the midwives, Lisa, and I was told that I was 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated. Please, oh please, let me have progressed over the last week.
We also had an appointment with a perinatologist last week to check on the baby's kidney and my amniotic fluid levels. Let me explain this situation before telling you what the perinatologist said. A couple of weeks ago, Kathy (one of the midwives) told me I was measuring 38 weeks at 36 weeks gestation. She wasn't concerned, but told us that the following week's measurement might indicate that I needed an ultrasound. So, we went in at 37 weeks and again I was measuring large (39.5 weeks). We were pulled in for an ultrasound and told that I was carrying more fluid than normal (polyhydramnios) and that the baby's left ureter was dilated (hydronephrosis), but were told not to worry until the next week when we heard back from Dr. Campaign. So, last week we went in, met with Lisa, and were told that I would need to see a perinatologist (doctor that specializes in high risk and maternal conditions). After our appointment, I called the specialist and made an appointment to be seen that Friday morning. Friday rolls around and Drew and I go to the perinatologist for another ultrasound. Well, it turns out that my fluid levels although a bit high, are within the normal range and no cause for concern. However, little boy will have to see a pediatric urologist after he is born to check on his ureter and perhaps fix it if it does not fix itself in the first few weeks he his here. This could be a simple "roto-rooter" type job or a more complex reconstruction, but we won't know until he's born and has an ultrasound of his own done.
The biggest part of this news is his measurements. I've been saying since I got pregnant that this little man was going to be big. Let's face it, the Riepers and the Wagoners are not small people (except my sister, but she is an anomoly). I have expected to give birth to an 8.5 lb baby. However, at the perinatologists office the ultrasound determined the following:
approx. weight at 38 weeks - 8 lb 7 oz (This is bigger than both Drew and I at 2 weeks past our due dates)
approx. length at 38 weeks - 21-22 inches
leg length at 38 weeks - measuring 40 weeks (We both have long legs)
torso at 38 weeks - measuring 40 weeks (Drew has a long torso)
head at 38 weeks - measuring 38 weeks (smaller heads run on both sides of our family, expect me who had the biggest melon ever)
Now, keep in mind that the weight is an estimate and could be off by up to 20 oz. However, the sonographist assures us that the machine's estimates are usually within a 5 oz. range. This means at 38 weeks he weighs approximately 8 lb 2 oz and 8lb 12 oz. That's not including the 0.5lb babies gain each week in the last few weeks. We could be looking at a 9 lb or more baby boy. That's the size of my friend Melanie's 3 month old. I guess we will just have to wait and see how big he really is. I wouldn't be surprised if these estimates are accurate though. It feels like I'm carrying a bowling ball right behind my skin (imagine that if you can).
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment